My boyfriend loves this bite-sized breakfast, if ever we have any spare eggs that I’m not going to sell he asks me to make bacon egg cups. They’re perfect for him as they have lots of protein so he often has a few before going to the gym. Also being small and easy to mostly prepare the night before, they’re the great for a breakfast on the go. It’s hard for these to look untidy as the egg usually shrinks into the cup, so they’re also good for entertaining when friends stay over as they look really professional. To be honest though we don’t need the excuse to make them, nor other people to help us eat them all!
6 slices of bread
12 rashers of bacon
12 fresh chicken eggs
1) Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with spray on oil to stop the cups from sticking once cooked.
2) Cut 12 circles out of the bread to create the base of the cups and place in the bottom of the tin. I use a drinking glass about the same size as the tin cases to cut of the circles and I can usually get two circles out of a single slice of bread. (The cut-offs usually go to the chickens so nothing is wasted)
3) Fry off the bacon so that it cooked through but still flexible to line the sides of the tins. The bacon will form the sides of the cups so they need to be tall enough to stop the egg spilling out. Where they shrink from cooking the rashers are not long enough to go all the way around the tin so I trim the bacon where it is taller to plug any gaps.
4) Grate the cheese and place on top of the bread base. If you’re preparing them the night before this is as far as you can go for now. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge ready for tomorrow.
5) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Crack a single egg into each cup. Don’t worry at this stage if a little bit overflows as the egg will shrink back into the cup when cooking.
6) Place in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes (or a bit more or less, depending on how runny you like your yolk). Once cooked take the cups out of the tins and allow to cool for a couple of minutes, enough time to get yourself a coffee!